Wednesday 27 July 2011

The Dark Side


Good evening Everyone!   Have you heard the one about the sleepless night?  


I am saying “Good Evening” because I have had a sleepless night – or more to the point, my son has had a nightmare and neither of us had much sleep yesterday.

Every parent (especially mothers) will know what I am talking about.  We’ve all been through it.  However, I decided to write about it because there was a distinct reason for my son’s nightmare, and it has made me see, at first hand, why certain inappropriate television programs, some films and YouTube clips are frowned upon by leading child experts.

It all began one evening when my husband had returned from a trip to see his sister.  I knew that he would give a lot of thought and buy a useful gift for our son.  “I got this book for him” he beamed and handed me a red book entitled CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.  I squealed with delight.  Some things never change when you get older and I confessed how I loved the book as a child, and had been taken by my school to see the film starring the wonderful Gene Wilder who behaved like and resembled the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

Reading to a child is one of the best ways to get him or her to develop a love of literature and stories. It increases their vocabulary, teaches them listening skills and also, helps strengthen the bond between the  parent and child.  In India, most fathers come home very late from the office; they rarely see their little ones and so that special moment before bedtime is lost.  My husband gets a chance to bond with his son early in the morning or at the weekends.   Reading creates a magical moment between the parent and child where the child’s imagination can run wild and pretend to be the hero or heroine.  

So how did a wonderful story create such a nightmare for my son?  Well, you see, it wasn’t the book that was the problem.  It was media that did it.  First, a YouTube cartoon which showed the young hero and his grandfather drinking fizzy pop and floating to the fan as per the story.  

We innocently watched the animation thinking we were about to see the same storyline as in the book. But, UNLIKE the story where the grandfather and Charlie slowly float down after burping and therefore, releasing gas, the grandfather met with his end in a graphically gruesome manner with blood oozing from the fan!  I was so horrified and petrified that my son had seen this.  Quickly, I changed the video while my son asked me why the grandfather had hit the fan and was it blood.  I managed to assure him it was strawberry jam, and hurridly inserted the latest dvd version of the book.  I thought I would stamp out any disturbing images remaining in my son’s mind.  How wrong I was...

Mr Tim Burton had given a modern film direction of the same book starring his best pal Johnny Depp.  I would like to add that it’s not his fault that my son saw his work.  I take the full blame here.  But I didn’t know.  I REALLY didn’t know that he directed it, until the dvd was firmly inserted in the lap top and the credits began to roll.  “Oh God!” said the voice in my head as soon as I saw his name.  I knew Mr Burton’s style.  It is distinctly dark and can have sexual overtones.  Who can forget BATMAN RETURNS directed by Tim, himself?  I loved it because I am an adult and relished the atmosphere that he evokes – something that my brother’s Marvel magazines could not. As an adult, I could distinguish between fact and fiction, good and evil, light and the dark side.   However, even Warner Brothers felt it was darker and much more personal than its predecessor.  They were very concerned that the film was too scary for children. The film also portrayed sexuality in the image of Catwoman who wore a costume that was both skin tight, and befitting of a rubber party dress!

Children’s literature, fairy tales often use language and images to tell a cautionary tale.  Everyone can remember LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD's message (beware of wolves in grandma’s clothing)? Or what about opening the door to a strange woman selling (poisoned) apples in Snow White?  Isn’t a little caution OK for a child as a learning point; for example, don’t talk to strangers?  If there is a change of scene or brighter images contrasting in the stories, I don’t think a small child is burdened with depressing images, alone.

My child was so upset with what he saw and heard in the film, that after two characters went to get their just desserts, he snapped the lap top down with a resounding SMACK, and thus, did what I wanted to do from the start.  “Mum, it’s too scary” he said.  “I want Papa to read the book”.  With great relief, I told him that I totally agreed and certain films were not appropriate for small children.  “Remember dear, books are ALWAYS better”, I told him.

But all night, he insisted the lights be left on and asked me to cuddle him very tight because the film had scared him so much.   I realised how terrible dark themes in media can be for little children, and even how they are brainwashed with commercials while watching kid’s channels.  As my son slept in the crook of my arm, he smiled sleepily and said, “Mama, your arms are so soft.  Are you using SATIN SOFT?  It’s very good for Mama’s holding babies!  I think you used SATIN SOFT when I was a baby..”

After my son went to bed and fell asleep, I watched the rest of the film.  At one point, Willy Wonka (the chocolatier extraordinaire) cautions Veruca Salt, a spoilt child, to keep away from his trained squirrels.  He warns her, “Don’t touch his nuts”.  What is the purpose of putting this obviously embarrassing innuendo in a child’s film and directing this to a girl of not more than ten years old?  Isn’t it inviting her to do so?  I complained to my husband who’s face looked worried when I told him what I had seen and heard.  My son’s father read more of the book to him and it was the balm that our child needed.

Tonight, my son still asked if it would be OK to have the light on at bedtime. 

 “Is it going to be dark, Mama?” he said in a small voice.

“No dear, not if I can help it”, I replied.


Goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment